alhamdullah

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
alhamdullah

Let there arise out of you a band of people inviting to all that is good, enjoining what is right, and forbidding what is wrong: They are the ones to attain felicity

Islamic family relations

sara muslima
    sara muslima
    Members
    Members

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2009-03-14

Islamic family relations Empty Islamic family relations

Post  sara muslima Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Islamic family relations concerns both the close family as well as the more distant families. Several hadith stress the importance of keeping family relations alive and recommend that even distant relations are to be visited, even if would take a year to travel to them. Brothers and sisters at home should help their mother when she becomes unable to support her children alone. At the same time brothers and sisters should be benevolent to each other. Islam strongly supports this interaction between each other. In Islam, all muslims are considered brothers and sisters in Islam.

Some hadith state that the person who severs the bond of kinship will not enter Paradise .

Parents
    And We have enjoined on man (to be good) to his parents: in travail upon travail did his mother bear him, and in years twain was his weaning: (hear the command), "Show gratitude to Me and to thy parents: to Me is (thy final) Goal. Quran 31:14
    Your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him, and that you be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour. And, out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say: My Lord! bestow on them Your Mercy even as they cherished me in childhood. Quran 17:23-34
    Narrated Abu Bakr Allah's Messenger said, "Shall I inform you of the biggest of the great sins?" They said, "Yes, O Allah's Messenger!" He said, "To join partners in worship with Allah, and to be undutiful to one's parents." Sahih Bukhari 8.74.290

Husband and Wife
    And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect. Quran 30:21
    And those who pray, "Our Lord! Grant unto us wives and offspring who will be the comfort of our eyes, and give us (the grace) to lead the righteous." Quran 25:74
    Narrated Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas: Allah's Messenger said, "You will be rewarded for whatever you spend for Allah's sake even if it were a morsel which you put in your wife's mouth." Sahih Bukhari 001.002.053
    Narrated Al-Aswad: I asked 'Aisha what did the Prophet use to do at home. She replied. "He used to keep himself busy serving his family and when it was time for the prayer, he would get up for prayer." Sahih Bukhari 008.073.065

Children
    O you who believe! Save yourselves and your families from a fire whose fuel is men and stones; over it are angels stern and strong, they do not disobey Allah in what He commands them, and do as they are commanded.Quran 66:6
    Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Messenger kissed Al-Hasan bin Ali while Al-Aqra' bin Habis At-Tamim was sitting beside him. Al-Aqra said, "I have ten children and I have never kissed anyone of them," Allah's Messenger cast a look at him and said, "Whoever is not merciful to others will not be treated mercifully." Sahih Bukhari 008.073.026

Islamic family relations Empty reply to Islamic family relations

Post  Guest Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:32 am

Silat ur-Rahm and Qata ur-Rahm

Maintaining the bonds of kinship (silat ur-rahm) indeed enjoys extraordinary importance in Islam. Conversely, severing the ties (qata-ur-rahm), is very high on the list of enormities. At two places in the Qur'an, Allah has cursed the one severing family ties:
    "And those who break the covenant of Allah, after its ratification, and sever that which Allah has commanded to be joined (i.e. they sever the bond of kinship and are not good to their relatives) and work mischief in the land, on them is the curse, and for them is the unhappy home." - [Ar-Rad 13:25. See also Muhammad, 47:22-23].
    A cursed person is one who is deprived of the mercy of Allah. It is an indication of this deprivation that this sin is punished in this world as well as in the Hereafter.
    "There is no sin more deserving of having punishment meted out by Allah to its perpetrator in advance in this world along with what He stores up for him in the next world than oppression and severing ties of family." [Tirmidhi]
    Another hadith highlights the high stakes involved here in a compelling way:
    "Rahm (family ties) is a word derived from Ar-Rahman (The Compassionate One) And Allah says: 'I shall keep connection with him who maintains you and sever connection with him who severs you.'" [Bukhari]

The Degree of Family Obligations in Islam
    Silatur-rahm has been defined as politeness, kind treatment, and concern for all one's relatives even if distantly related, corrupt, non-Muslim, or unappreciative. [Shaikh Abdul Wakil Durubi in Reliance of the Traveller].
    While nearly every religion has emphasized good family relations, Islam has taken it to unprecedented heights. It is a duty to be discharged without an eye for reciprocity. A Muslim is required to be kind even to his non-Muslim relatives. Similarly he is required to be kind to even those relatives who are harsh to him.
    The most telling example in this regard is that of Sayyidna Abu Bakr, Radi-Allahu anhu. Among the many people who benefited from his generosity was a relative named Mistah, Radi-Allahu anhu. The latter, unfortunately became involved in the scandal about the Mother of Believers, Sayyida Aisha, Radi-Allahu anha, which was started by the leader of the hypocrites. It was a whole month of torment and torture for all involved, after which verses of Surat an-Noor were revealed exonerating her and prescribing punishment for those involved in the false accusation. Feeling hurt and betrayed, Sayyidna Abu Bakr, Radi-Allahu anhu, vowed never to help Mistah again. Yet the Qur'an asked him to forget and forgive and continue helping his relative, which he did. Is there another society that can even come close to this standard in maintaining family ties?
    Islam came to set all our relationships right. This includes our relations with Allah as well as with other human beings. Silat-ur-Rahim is a very important part of the latter.
    Kindess and Compassion
    Islam, on the other hand, has come to create healthy family relationships and close ties of kinship. Islam teaches that our family relationships must be built on a foundation of kindness and compassion. Let us reject influences that urge us to focus on materialism and machine relationships, and let us return instead to family relationships based on the human values of love and mercy.
    http://www.zawaj.com/articles/importance_of_kinship.html